Safety & Security
Sound familiar? Many of you are familiar with this line as it has been used in commercials and print ads by the manufacturer of an emergency call system. These systems are called Personal Emergency Response Systems (PERS), also known as Medical Emergency Response Systems. They allow you to call for help in an emergency by pushing a button. Some systems can detect when a person falls and will automatically call for help. Our local 911 services provide our communities with tremendous public service. Unfortunately many elderly living alone may not be able to call 911. The good news is there are several technologies that can help. These include monitors, motion detection devices, fall prevention devices and PERS that can be integrated into an overall emergency alert plan.
Personal Emergency Response Systems
A PERS has three components: a small radio transmitter, a console connected to your telephone, and an emergency response center that monitors calls. You can purchase or rent a PERS device on a monthly contract. There is also a monthly monitoring fee. Questions you can ask a PERS company include:
- Is the monitoring center open 24/7?
- What’s the average response time, and who gets alerted?
- Will I be able to use the same system with other response centers if I move?
- What if I move to another city or state?
- What’s your repair policy? What happens if I need a replacement?
- What are the initial costs? What costs are ongoing?
- What kind of services and features will I get?
There are many of these devices on the market. One we highly recommend is provided by Coastal Medical Alert. They have the latest technology and local representatives who can personally meet with the customer. You can vivit their website at www.coastalmedalert.com
If you or an aging loved one are considering hiring a professional caregiver in Newport Beach, CA or the surrounding Orange County areas, please call us at 949-535-2211. We provide senior care services in Newport Beach, Costa Mesa, Huntington Beach, Irvine, Laguna Woods, Laguna Beach, Mission Viejo and surrounding areas of Orange County California. Contact us today to learn more.
Both Dan and Yvonne had personal experiences with the needs and challenges of caring for aging parents. They saw the need for a high quality professionally run yet personalized service to deliver the type of experience that they had a hard time finding.
Latest posts by Dan Segal (see all)
- Taking Care of Yourself and Your Children to Reduce Your Senior’s Pneumonia Risk - November 9, 2018
- Driving Safety and Your Senior’s Alzheimer’s Diagnosis - October 18, 2018
- Optimal Senior Care Solutions ~ September Caregiver of the Month! - October 15, 2018