As a non-medical home care agency, we provide assistance to the elderly in their own home or residence. Many of our clients have various underlying health issues and require medical attention from time to time. Seeking medical care can be difficult due to their condition, age, and in many cases the ability to easily transport themselves to their appointment. One solution is to receive medical attention via a physician that makes house calls. This was a common practice for general practitioners up until the early 1960’s. House calls are once again becoming more and more available. In our work with the elderly in their homes we have been fortunate to come to know Doctor In My House, a “Housecall Concierge Practice” which was founded in 2012. Dr. Michael Haga and Dr. Joomo Yang are board certified physicians that provide the medical services and expertise.
Benefits of a Housecall Concierge Practice
Concierge medicine is a relationship between a patient and a primary care physician in which the patient pays an annual fee or retainer. Combining this type of care with house calls is a powerful tool in providing the highest level of care especially to the elderly who are often dealing with an array of physical and cognitive health issues. Some of the benefits of having a concierge doctor include:
- Concierge doctors provide longer, more frequent appointments.
- Concierge doctors provide preventive — not reactive — care.
- Concierge doctors can manage all aspects of patient care.
- Concierge medicine is cost-effective. Concierge doctors report less payout, fewer hospital admissions, and improved care to prevent chronic conditions, like hypertension, high cholesterol, and diabetes, which are costly to treat.
- The time spent with the patient is more thorough because it’s in the home, and patients aren’t exposed to other sick patients in the waiting room.
Drs. Haga and Yang believe that compassionate care and quality time with patients are the most important parts of that patient-physician relationship, and that patients (particularly when they are ill) should not be spending their time driving to and from the doctor’s office just to sit in a waiting room. They wanted their patients to have the true quality time with the physicians with customized services, including:
- Unlimited number of doctor/patient house call visits, that are in the convenience of home and unhurried. Designed to provide the utmost privacy and convenience for the patient.
- The physicians will come to the home and are available 24 hours a day, seven days a week by phone or e-mail, and both next-day and same-day appointments are available along with Telehealth visits.
- Coordination with home service providers, such as mobile lab draws and imaging.
- In the event the patient needs to be admitted to a hospital, the concierge doctor will stay in contact with the treating doctor to stay updated on the patient’s status until they are discharged back home.
- Monitoring medications and prescriptions to ensure the medications are not interacting with other medications, and that there are no unnecessary medications prescribed.
For more information please visit their website at Doctor In My House. General Contact Information:
We at Optimal Senior Care Solutions have come to greatly appreciate having this type of valuable service available to our clients. Doctor In My House covers the majority of Orange County, California.